Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Once Upon A Time: The Video



"Finding Angela Shelton" - Day Eighteen...

You might have noticed there's no blog entry for yesterday. That's because yesterday I was suffering from a migraine that was so bad I almost had to go to the hospital for treatment. I'm recuperating today. Today I feel as though I've been hit by a Mack truck. I don't feel like talking to anybody. My head still hurts and I feel like being lazy. It's taking everything I've got in me to stay out of bed. But as lazy and icky as I feel, I still want to keep moving forward on my journey, so I opened my email this morning to find out what day 18 had in store for me.

Day 18's task was another one that really challenged me: Share your light. I was instructed to tell my story to someone new, someone I haven't told it to before. Lucky for me, Angela gave me a ticket to do this however I wanted to do it. She wrote, "If you do not feel up to speaking, you can be creative about how you tell." I definitely didn't feel like speaking, so I tried to think of a way I could tell my story, and I came up with the idea to make a video to share on YouTube. I took the story of my rape and turned it into this:

video

As soon as I'm finished with this blog, I'll be uploading my video to my YouTube account. Many people who know me "in real life" and online don't know my story yet, so it's pretty much a given that someone new will see this when I post it. I don't know what kind of reaction it's going to get, and to be honest with you it really doesn't matter. What matters is that I've found another way to tell my story... another way to speak out... another way to purge.

What matters is that I am continuing this journey and I'm giving myself the chance to explore new outlets along the way. Since I started this journey, I've tried lots of new things. I've written, I've painted, I've screamed, I've played, I've moved, and I've been still. I've learned to think out of the box and I've learned never to dismiss the opportunity to try something different. I've learned so much that it's difficult to put into words how lovely this whole thing has been.

Have you been taking the journey with me? Perhaps just following along? I'd love to know what you've learned along the way... Enjoy the next few days. I'll be back with day nineteen as soon as our Christmas festivities have come to an end.

As we inch a little closer to 2010, I'm eager to see what the future holds, because I know the past is the past... and the present is definitely the best "present" I could have given myself this year.

10 comments:

Mary's World said...

I really liked the way you did the video!! I am sharing your link to some others, that I think i would help!!

Marijo Stautberg said...

awesome, Meggs - really well done. I am so sorry for all that has happened to you. You are still so beautiful and making such a difference in the world. I hope you feel better - get some rest and enjoy your Christmas with that lovely family. / mj

Lori said...

Megan, way to go! You turned the story into another format, which could reach and teach a lot of people about respect, breaking the silence, and healing. A very nice production. Congratulations!

Meggs said...

Thank you all so much for your support. I'm struggling a bit with this simply because I know when you put something on YouTube it's OUT THERE... it's difficult in some ways and liberating in others. I appreciate you!!!

Michele Rosenthal said...

This is an AWESOME video -- in so many ways. Thank you for speaking out. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on healing. Thank you for spreading the word that after we survive we can find JOY. I have done that, too. It's the fact every survivor needs to hear! You are inspirational. :)

Meggs said...

Thanks, Michele! I found you on twitter and now I'll be following your blog. Thanks for your kind comment! And THANK YOU for what you do to help those of us with PTSD!!! =)

silent no more said...

What an awesome job you did with that. With something so prevalent as rape it is unfortunate that so many of us feel so alone within it. Thanks for helping to break the silences that plague this epidemic.

Meggs said...

Thank you so much! I hope it helps others know they are not alone. I know I felt so alone because of (specifically) the way I was raped. Now I know that others have been hurt like that too and it'sokay for me to talk about it.

Anonymous said...

Very nicely done Megan, I've missed you and your wisdom in helping me along my path. But I know how to reach you. I would love to do the same thing, how do you do all of that on there? Awesome....You Go Girl. I love you, Love Rhea

Patricia Singleton said...

Thank you for sharing this video. I will be back to visit your blog and read more. You are incredibly courageous to put this video here and on YouTube for others to see. With this video, you will help others to start their own healing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails