Friday, September 16, 2011

Bring on the Noise!


My friend Kerri recently asked me to write a guest post for her blog because she's decided to use her blog as a platform for friends to share their stories during National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week.
I know it seems everything has an "awareness week" nowadays, and to be honest I'm kind of excited about that. I think giving people the chance to use their voices to educate others about whatever they are facing is a good thing. I've heard and seen complaints about the amount of "noise" created by awareness campaigns on Twitter and facebook and other sites but sometimes I wonder how many millions of people would still be sitting in silence and suffering alone were it not for the advent of social media and all of its awareness. I say bring on the noise!

The blog post I shared with Kerri's readers is a bit snarky, but I still wanted to share it with you all here to give you a little glimpse into another part of my world. I'm not always sunshine and rainbows, remember? Sometimes I'm sunshine and sarcasm, and that's okay.

So here's the link if you're interested in reading:


Be sure to check out the rest of Kerri's blog. There's some fun stuff there, and there are more stories from people who live with invisible illness. Be sure to leave her a comment to let her know you stopped by!

Do you live with an invisible illness? Are you participating in National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week in any way? If so, you're more than welcome to leave a comment and share links, stories, etc.

Until next time, may you be blessed - and inspired to pass it on!

1 comment:

kerri said...

Thanks so much, Meggs! I definitely agree that the increased incidence of things like awareness weeks--or days--is a fantastic thing about understanding our society and, more importantly, PEOPLE more.

There's a quote that I love that says "awareness of issues is not the problem; people are aware of issues. awareness of people is what will bring change." That's kinda what I'm wanting to do. I'd like to extend it beyond Invisible Illness Week, but it was a good launch point :].

Related Posts with Thumbnails