Thursday, July 21, 2011

I Don't Do Egg Nog



My husband loves egg nog. He buys egg nog in the extreme heat of summer and chugs it like it's going out of style. Egg nog makes him happy. It brings a smile to his face and gives him that little spark of joy that we all wanna find at every opportunity. See that egg nog in the pic up there? He bought it today. That carton is already almost empty.

I hate egg nog. I hate the smell of egg nog. I avoid egg nog like the plague. I do not buy egg nog unless it's Christmastime and/or I'm feeling particularly generous and want to sucker my husband into doing things like dishes or laundry or handling other domestic duties that I'm trying to shirk. Egg nog does not bring me joy. Egg nog makes me want to hurl and I'm not afraid to say it.

Why all this talk of egg nog? What's the point?

Different people have different tastes - not only in food and beverages but also in their personal approach to healing. 

If you try egg nog and hate it, should you stop consuming liquids altogether? HECK no! You can't live without some form of hydration. You reach for something else. You drink what you like. You satisfy your thirst in another way.

So... if you try something like guided imagery meditation or addressing the inner child concept and these things don't work for you, should you give up your healing journey altogether? HECK no! You can't make progress if you refuse to move. You keep seeking and you reach for something else. You address your issues in a way that works for you. Don't be afraid to say that something isn't working and admit that you need to try a new approach to get past your pain.

Be proud of who you are and your individual healing style.  
Do your own thing. 
Don't try to be something you're not. Don't try to fit into someone else's mold. Don't keep doing the same things over and over again if they're not working for you. Branch out. Try something new. Keep trying until you find something that jells.

Until next time, may you be blessed - and inspired to pass it on!

P.S. Get that egg nog away from me and pass me the Coke!

6 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm not a coke or eggnog fan... Pass me a beer or a cold glass of water... Now that's what I like!

Megan said...

Haha! I don't care too much for beer but I love a good Riesling or sweet red wine. =)I also love water, hence the Pur filter there beside the nasty egg nog! ;) Thanks for stopping by!

Tracie Nall said...

Egg Nog absolutely brings me that smile and spark of joy. We have an only holiday season egg nog rule at our house, so starting halfway through November until New Years, I drink a ton of it (especially the pumpkin spice egg nog! YUM!).

You are right, though, not all of us can embrace the wonderfulness that is egg nog.

And that is true about healing as well. You have to try different things and find what works for you, and also realize that something that works great for a while, might not always be the best thing. Healing is a path, and it is all about moving forward and taking new steps.

But when you find the thing you need and the place you are supposed to be, it is just like a tall, frosty glass of pumpkin spice egg nog (or a cold coke, because I love me some coke too!).

Megan said...

Tracie, Hubby says you're a genius. LOL! Thanks for the great comment! Something DIFFERENT about us? WHA????????

Renee said...

I tried egg nog as a teen and haven't touched the stuff since. I'm a Dr. Pepper girl. Thankfully, survivors can explore various approaches to healing. I can remember a time when there was very little literature available on healing from sexual abuse. The subject was considered taboo. Great strides have been made in addressing the issue.

Megan said...

Thanks for stopping by, Renee! I remember when I first started seeking help it was practically nowhere to be found... and that was just 15-16 years ago. Just in the last two years I've seen so many resources that I never knew existed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails