Saturday, February 06, 2010

You Are Not Alone, Joanne's Story (Blog-a-thon Post 6)




Dear Survivor,

Joanne D. wants you to know you are not alone. When I asked members of the facebook group to share stories of how important it is to have support, she was among the first to respond. Here's some of what she had to say:

The benefits [of having support] as I see them are two fold. Yes, we get to ask questions of other survivors to see if their experience is the same or to problem-solve shared challenges together; but of equal importance is the platform for survivor advocacy. It is the automatic silence and unspoken nature of incest that allows it to continue in society. Incest cannot exist without this automatic familial and community silence.

I am one of the lucky ones…in spite of the awful abuse I suffered as a child; I somehow do not need daily medication and do not have a DSM diagnosis. I have been very successful in 2 careers including high performance Olympic caliber Coaching and as a high ranking Business Executive in the Online/E-Commerce field internationally, directly responsible for many lucrative e-business ‘firsts’ for Fortune 500 Companies. I put myself through University as an adult after disclosing and I was hard working enough (plus good therapy) to want to turn my experience and suffering into a gift. I am currently looking at achieving my next degree. However, I can still easily and completely relate to the feelings, family dynamics, and devastation suffered by all Survivors of Incest. It is my wish now that all survivors feel comfortable enough to come forward for healing, fellowship, and shared advocacy – it is time to change the world. Take incest out of the dark - and put it on the global awareness front page where it belongs.

Joanne D.


Watch the live UStream broadcast of this blog-a-thon by clicking here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails